Sunday, August 15, 2010

Easy Vegetarian: Tomato Sauce



Last weekend Prince C's
grandparents brought me a lot of tomatoes. They were
beautiful. I knew I wouldn't be able to eat them all before they
went bad so....I made tomato sauce.

It was easy.

Ingredients:
-a bunch of ripe tomatoes
-olive oil
-salt and pepper
-red pepper flakes (if they float your boat)
-garlic
-onion

I used garlic from a tiny jar and onion flakes from the spice cabinet. I never have fresh versions of those things.

Cut up the tomatoes into sections and put them into a good sized pot with a few glugs of olive oil. Add red pepper flakes and the salt and pepper. Allow the tomatoes to soften. Around 15 minutes. Mash with a potato masher. Keep cooking.
After around an hour, mash them again, and then use the immersion blender on them.

Let cool. Freeze.

So far I have used the sauce for eggs in purgatory:

Tomato soup:
and plain ol' spaghetti.

It's been great. Try it out.

xxoo,
Frootie!



No comments: